The Charmed and Dangerous
This riff off the classic Sazerac features wine instead of rye whiskey.
- 1½ ounces VSOP Cognac
- ½ ounce Maury vin doux naturel wine
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon absinthe
- 1 dried orange wheel or orange twist
- 1 star anise pod, lightly blackened with a kitchen torch or over gas burner
- Optionally, add a cinnamon stick
- Stir VSOP Cognac, Maury, maple syrup, and two 2″ strips lime zest in an ice-filled mixing glass until cold, about 30 seconds.
- Rinse a rocks glass or a frozen snifter with absinthe; discard. Strain cocktail through a Hawthorne strainer or a large slotted spoon into glass. Garnish with orange wheel, star anise pod and optionally a cinnamon Stick.